Midway is located in Liberty County, Georgia on Highway 17 between Savannah and Darien and has a long and distinguished history. English Puritans founded the Midway Society on August 28, 1754 in a log meeting house on Midway Neck. The Midway Society was a strongly religious Congregationalist group. These Puritans migrated to St. John's Parish, Georgia from Dorchster, South Carolina (near Charleston) in 1752 and established a new Dorchester and another nearby settlement what was later to become the Midway Community. In 1752 the Council of Georgia granted the settlers 31,950 acres primarily because colonial officials wanted a large number of settlers there to protect them from the Creek Indians. The original settlers where primarily rice planters and developed a strong agricultural economy.
The settlers in this area were very political and took an an early stand for independence. In May of 1775, Lyman Hall (a Midway Church member) was sent to the Continental Congress in Philadelphia as a delegate from the parish of St. John. A year later Hall and St. John's Parish resident Button Gwinnett (along with George Walton of Augusta) signed the Declaration of Independence. Another Midway resident, Nathan Brownson, served in the Continental Congress from 1776 to 1778, but was absent from the Signing. Click one of the following buttons to download copies of the Declaration and other Charters of Freedom!
In 1777 St. John's Parish, St. Andrew's Parish, and St. James' Parish combined to become Liberty County. Because St. John's Parish was the first in Georgia to vote for liberty, the new county created was given the name Liberty.
Historic landmarks include the Midway Church and Cemetary and Midway Museum (collectively known as the Midway Historic District).
Established in 1752, the the Midway Congregational Church building was destroyed during the Revolutionary War. The present building (which still stands) was completed in 1792. The religious welfare of the slaves was given high consideration. The "colored" members of the church worshiped with whites throughout the entire existence of the church. On Sundays, the two races worshiped together, with the blacks in the galleries and the whites in the pews below. Every April, the Midway Society conducts an annual service commemorating the town's settlement. The Church and the adjacent cemetery were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Among those buried here are Daniel Stewart and James Screven, two American Generals of the Revolutionary War. In the center of the cemetery there is a large monument dedicated to these men. The monument was dedicated in 1915.
The Midway Museum (located on Highway 17) is home to documents, exhibits, and furnishings which commemorate and affirm the love of Liberty which distinguishes the Midway Society from the Colonial period through it's last meeting in December, 1865. The Midway Museum is Georgia's only colonial museum
Satuday, October 22, 2016 - Cemetery Tour, 6pm, 7pm, and 8 pm*
November 19, 2016 from 2pm - 5pm - Meet West Fraser at the Midway Museum for a Book Signing and Reception. Reserve your book Painting the South Coast, The Art of West Fraser, today ($49.99 Hardback, $29.99 Softback).
December 10, 2016 - Christmas Tea, 11 - 4 pm*
RSVP for Events: 912-884-5837 or
Calendar Events are subject to change, please call and confirm.
The Midway Museum is the home to a prodigious collection of heirloom furnishing, paintings, artifacts and historical documents as well as genealogical books of reference that many prominent families and their ancestors donated from the colonial period.
Under the direction of the late Thomas G. Little, historical architect, Midway Museum, a raised cottage style house typical of those built on the coast in the 18th century, was patterned after homes which stood at Sunbury and at Riceboro. The home in Riceboro was sketched by Basil Hall on his trip through Georgia in 1828 and described as follows: “a frame-house, being made of timbers squared and fastened together, and afterwards covered with planks at the sides and ends, while the roof is either boarded or protected by shingles, a sort of wooden slate, two feet in length, and six inches wide. Almost all the houses in that part of the country have verandahs, or what they call ‘piazzas’.” Since its completion, the Midway Museum has served as the pattern for numerous private reconstructions and renovations.
Exhibits, documents, and furnishings placed in the Museum commemorate and reanimate the love of Liberty which distinguishes the Midway Society from the Colonial period through its last annual meeting in December, 1865.
This is should be a prospective customer's number one call to action, e.g., requesting a quote or perusing your product catalog.